The winter season is over. Many of us will surely miss the cozy nights by the fire while sipping hot cocoa. Unfortunately, this time of year brought on more than just a chill in the air for some. This is also the season when colds and flu spread like wildfire. While we may be looking forward to warmer weather, it’s important to remember that these pesky illnesses still pose a risk – even when spring has already started. That is why we are excited to welcome you to the world of Elderberries! These berries have been used for centuries to treat various ailments. One specific type of elderberry has recently become increasingly popular for its health benefits, the black elderberry. But why is everyone taking black elderberry extract? Let’s find out!
Powerful Little Berry
There are two main types of elderberry: European elderberry (Sambucus nigra) and American elderberry (Sambucus canadensis). European elderberry or black elderberry is native to Europe and Asia, while American elderberry is native to North America. Although both types of elderberry have similar health benefits, they differ in taste and texture.
European elderberry has a tart flavor and a firm texture. It’s often used in jams, jellies, syrups, and other recipes. American elderberry has a sweet taste and a softer texture. It’s often used in teas, juices, smoothies, and other beverages.
Taking black elderberry extract during winter may reduce your risk of catching a cold or flu virus by helping your body fight any potential infections before they take hold. It may also help reduce anxiety levels during stressful times.
What makes Black Elderberry extract so special?
This superfood contains antioxidants called anthocyanins which help your body fight infection from bacteria or viruses that cause common colds or influenza (the flu). Its anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce inflammation in your airways caused by allergies or asthma attacks. They also have antiviral properties that can help you recover faster if you get sick with a cold or influenza virus infection. Additionally, they are high in vitamin C – which our bodies need during winter months!
Black elderberries may be beneficial against stress or anxiety symptoms. Based on the findings from a 2022 study, it helps reduce cortisol levels (the hormone responsible for stress). In addition, these berries are known as adaptogens. They assist with regulating hormones such as adrenaline which helps balance mood swings.
Lastly, this type of elderberry is a good source of dietary fiber which helps promote regularity, reduces cholesterol levels, and supports healthy digestion. Studies have also shown that dietary fiber may reduce anxiety levels.
Berry goodness in a cup
Black elderberry extract contains essential nutrients such as vitamin C, fiber, magnesium, calcium, potassium & iron. Let’s take a look at the nutritional value content in one cup (150g) of this excellent fruit:
- Calories – 80 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 20 g
- Dietary Fiber – 6 g
- Sugars – 10g
- Fat – 0.2 g
- Protein – 1 g
- Vitamin A– 4 % DV
- Vitamin C– 16 % DV
- Calcium– 2% DV
- Iron- 3% DV
- Potassium- 7%DV
- Magnesium 5%.DV
Other health benefits
Black elderberry is a nutrient-dense berry with numerous reported potential health benefits. Though most of these have limited scientific evidence and more research is still needed to evaluate the potential of black elderberry, these may give us insight into why this fruit is a must-have to a healthy diet!
- May help fight cancer: A 2016 study found some cancer-inhibiting properties in European and American elderberry fruits in their test-tube studies.
- Improve heart health: Black elderberry is rich in antioxidants. A 2015 review concludes that it can help to reduce the risk of heart disease and improve heart health.
- May fight harmful bacteria: A 2017 review evaluates its capability to inhibit the growth of Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
- May lower cholesterol: A 2015 study suggests that it may potentially lower cholesterol levels because it contains sterols. It is a substance that helps stop the body from absorbing cholesterol.
- Antidepressant properties: A 2014 study found mice fed 544 mg of elderberry extract per pound (1,200 mg per kg) had improved performance and mood markers.
CBD + immunity Gummies
Black elderberry is your answer if you’re looking for a natural remedy that packs a powerful punch. One great way to get your daily dose of black elderberry is through our CBD + Immunity Gummies. They’re packed with black elderberry extract plus cannabinoids such as CBG and CBD. Now you don’t have to worry about picking fresh berries from a bush to experience the benefits of this amazing superfood! These gummies are perfect for boosting immunity and if you suffer from anxiety or stress. So why not give them a try?
What to watch out for?
While this berry is known for its many health benefits, some potential side effects and risks may come with it. The following are worth noting when consuming black elderberries:
- They contain a compound called cyanogenic glycosides which can release hydrogen cyanide when ingested in high doses. Always cook black elderberries before consuming them. Moreover, avoid overeating because it can lead to nausea and vomiting in some people.
- Consuming large amounts of these berries may significantly affect blood sugar levels and cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
- It may affect fetal development. So pregnant women should avoid taking any supplement containing black elderberry.
- It may cause some allergic reactions.
From boosting the immune system to reducing inflammation, black elderberry extract is packed with nutrients that can help keep you healthy. So if you’re looking for an easy way to boost your immune system naturally – whether it’s winter, spring, or all year round, look no further than black elderberry – one of nature’s superfoods!
This article provides information and education only. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. They also do not intend to give medical advice. Always consult a physician or qualified healthcare provider for any questions about your health and well-being. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.